Woodside has lost its 'Music Man,' Richard Gordon

Original post made on Sep 19, 2016

There's an empty music stand in Woodside right now, a conductor's baton waiting to be used. The town's own "Music Man," Richard Gordon, died on Monday, Sept. 12, after losing a four-month fight with brain cancer.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, September 19, 2016, 10:23 AM

Posted by Paul Goeld
a resident of Woodside: Woodside Hills
on Sep 19, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I am so sorry to hear this news.

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to Deborah, Ashley and the extended Gordon family.

Richard was a prince and many will miss him.

Posted by Rebekah Witter
a resident of Woodside: Mountain Home Road
on Sep 19, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Love and condolences to Deborah and family,

Posted by Joanie Crombie
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Sep 19, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Condolences to Mr. Gordon's family from everyone at West Coast Songwriters

Posted by John C. Gordon
a resident of Woodside: Mountain Home Road
on Sep 19, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Thank you for this very nice article. I think I can speak for Richard's siblings in saying this was very enlightening to know more about how he is (still) respected and revered in his community.
I'd like to mention the rest of "Rick"'s sisters and brothers; Susan Gordon of Wailuku, Paula Gordon (of Auburn, deceased), Martha Gordon of San Jose, Sally Lunetta of Colfax, James Gordon of Forresthill, and myself. Add to them, all the spouses, cousins, nieces, nephews, and all of their children and grandchildren, Rick's family reach is far and wide, and we will all miss him.
Once again, thank you for this glimpse into his life in Woodside that we can keep forever.
Regards, John C. Gordon

Posted by Barbara Wood
Almanac staff writer
on Sep 19, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Barbara Wood is a registered user.

Thank you John, I didn't have the siblings' names. I have added them to the story. I worked with Richard on community theater for 10 years and admired him greatly.

Posted by Martin Hellman
on Sep 19, 2016 at 11:01 pm

I was privileged to know Richard Gordon, Woodside's "Music Man" and beloved husband of my dear friend Deborah. His death is a loss for all of us who knew him, but most of all my heart goes out to Deborah. Visiting them two weeks earlier, the deep love shared shone through even though Richard was medicated and drifted in and out of consciousness. Because he loved reed instruments, I asked Deborah if he might like me to play one of my favorite albums, Renaissance music played on modern double reeds. As we listened to it, Deborah told me to look at Richard's index finger. He was conducting! While I have experienced tears over Richard's death, writing that just now made me smile, much as I believe a smile crossed Richard's face as he conducted that Renaissance music. Earth has lost a good man, but Heaven has gained a saxophone player to accompany all those harps.

Posted by Karen Offen
a resident of Woodside: other
on Sep 21, 2016 at 10:20 am

What a loss! Our deepest sympathy goes to Deborah and the entire Gordon family. We will miss Richard's kindly face and his contribution to things musical in Woodside. May he rest in peace..... and ma the survivors be consoled by the remembrance of a good and worthy life.

Posted by Julianna
a resident of Woodside: Mountain Home Road
on Nov 15, 2016 at 2:55 pm

This man was amazing and was my best friend, Brooke Dombkowski's, granddaughter. Brooke and her family and this wonderful man are amazing influnces and amazing people! Love u "pops"!