Post a New Topic
Menlo Gates on Ravenswood and Alma
Original post made
by Observer II, Menlo Park: Downtown,
on Mar 19, 2019
Kudos to the City of Menlo Park and to the Menlo Park Historical Association for creating the newly constructed MENLO GATES, located at the corner of Ravenswood Avenue and Alma Street, near the entrance to the Library and Civic Center. They are a replica of Gates built in 1854 by two Irish immigrants, nearly 165 years ago, yet they blend in quite well on that corner. With the words MENLO PARK added on the top, they can be clearly seen by both passengers on Caltrain and 100's, if not 1,000's of drivers passing by. Some say the Gates symbolically say WELCOME.
During the Dedication Ceremony held last Sunday, that is on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 2019, Mayor Ray Mueller spoke expressing the pride being taken and his appreciation of both the City and volunteers working together for the betterment of the community. Nearly 70 persons watched on a warm, sunny, blue sky afternoon.
At the base of the Gates is a plaque listing the many persons who helped financially to make this possible, including the city, local businesses and individuals. There is even a listing for a group in Galway, Ireland (Menlo Park's Sister City) that contributed to the project. In Galway, there is a similar gate at the entrance to what is known as the Menlo Castle.