Former Menlo Park mayor Dee Tolles dies at 79

Original post made on Nov 15, 2018

Former Menlo Park mayor Raymond "Dee" Tolles died Monday, Nov. 12, at age 79, leaving behind a legacy of civic involvement as remembered by a number of Menlo Park's leaders over the years.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, November 15, 2018, 10:45 AM

Posted by Jim Lewis
on Nov 15, 2018 at 12:20 pm

I remember Dee Tolles well. He was not only my banker with Union Bank, but my Mayor in Menlo Park. He was remarkable in his consistent kindness, friendly approach and attention to detail. He was truly a man to be admired and remembered.

Posted by Rebekah
a resident of Woodside: Mountain Home Road
on Nov 15, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Dee Tolles was the definition of kind friend and true gentleman.
We need more like him, but I'm afraid he was one of a kind.
It would be great to have a man like him leading our country!
Love and condolences to Laura Lou and the entire Tolles clan.
Dee and Shot were a great pair to see on the trails, in parades and celebrating Mounted Patrol.
Happy Trails always, Dee!

Posted by Jeff Peterson
on Nov 15, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Dee Tolles lived a life of wholistic success. He measured a person’s success by personal character and the ability to carry oneself with respect and dignity. He was able to hold out such a standard because he personified and fully owned it.

Dee...may you live on as well as you lived here!

Posted by Holly
on Nov 15, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Dee Tolles really seemed to really enjoy and care about people. It always a pleasure to speak to him at NCEFT or anywhere in Woodside. He was a very kind man.

Posted by Mary Ann Draeger
a resident of Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
on Nov 15, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Dee Tolles an inspiration to all that knew him in ever walk of life.

Posted by Robyn Rabosea
on Nov 16, 2018 at 8:00 am

One of the sweetest and kindest souls to ever walk this earth. I am truly saddened by the news of his passing but rejoice in knowing that he walks side by side with the most high! May god bless the Tolles family and comfort them all during this time especially his beautiful bride, Laura lou. My thoughts and prayers are with you all Tolles family. Rest in Heavenly love my friend!

Posted by Jill Tolles
on Nov 22, 2018 at 8:11 am

Saying goodbye to Dee Tolles:

I met Dee Tolles 22 years ago when my then “special friend” Par Tolles wanted to introduce me to his dad. We hit it off right away. He teased me about something and I immediately bantered back. We knew right off the bat we would have a long friendship.

He gave me my nickname Jilly Bean.
He taught me to love fly fishing, cigars and big open skies.
He was one of the most consistent voices of encouragement in my life.
He showed me how to find something good in everyone and to never be shy about letting them know.
He taught me to take a break every now and then, enjoy the moment and a cold beer.

He worked hard as a banker for 40 years, was the Mayor of Menlo Park, Captain of the Mounted Patrol and President of the Circus Club. He loved his dogs, horses, fly rod, duck club, flying and above all his family.

Today, we got to hold his hand and cheer him on across the finish line. As we prayed for him and told him how much we loved him, he suddenly looked up, had the most peaceful look on his face, took a few last breaths and let go. It was a blessing to love him all the way up to the gates of heaven.

With all the talk about women lately, I am also so grateful for good men. Dee was among the best of them. We will miss him so much and are grateful for the time we had with him. See you on the other side! - Jill Tolles (Dee’s daughter in law)

Posted by Chris Keck
on Nov 23, 2018 at 6:35 am

Dee personified dignity, kindness, and was a true gentleman respected by all who knew him. He will be missed by all. The last time I saw Dee he was riding his horse while carrying the American flag in the Woodside Mayday Parade. He was smiling and sitting straight and tall in the saddle. Wonderful memory of truly a great man. Godspeed Dee Tolles!

Posted by Nancy Norvell
on Nov 26, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Laura Lou & Dee were 2 of my closest friends when we lived in Menlo Park 2 different times for a total of 11 years, and we've kept in touch ever since I've moved to Tampa, FL for 22 years & back to my home town of Austin, TX , where we are now. Dee was a faithful friend always to me, my husband Rush & our daughters Nicole & Noelle -- we'll be forever grateful & look forward to spending eternity with Dee & the Lord in Heaven!

Posted by Geoffrey Shenk
on Nov 27, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Dee Tolles was my godfather when I was growing up. Our families are family. Dee and Laura Lou were my other parents growing up. Par and Tori are my other brother and sister. I have many memories of Dee from my childhood from trips to Mendocino where he would dive for abalone to plucking feathers in his garage from the birds he brought back from a hunt in their Menlo Park home. Many great summers at Kanakuk Kamp which he introduced my family to. When my Dad worked with Dee at Union Bank, I used to love it when he would have the security guard take me to the downstairs bank vault. He will be missed and remembered. Godspeed Dee.