News

View all | Post your own topic

Seeking to curb emissions, Atherton is gradually phasing out gas, while Portola Valley takes a stricter approach
Atherton is taking a gradual approach to going all-electric to curb the use of natural gas, offering exemptions for residents... Last comment on Dec 3, 2022 at 7:45 pm | 6 comments

Getting ready to ban gas leaf blowers, Menlo Park works on outreach
When it comes to phasing out gas-powered leaf blowers, landscape professionals don't have much to say about it, according... Last comment on Dec 5, 2022 at 6:13 pm | 17 comments

See complete photo gallery | Upload your photo

"Kites"
Gentaro King, 7, flys his kite at Bedwell-Bayfront Park. Gentaro bought his kite on vacation in China and it is made of more than 30 paper pieces. Submitted by Michelle Le on May 17, 2010

News

Portola Valley Planning Commissioner recuses herself from housing element discussion due to conflict
It's unclear whether incoming Portola Valley council member Judith Hasko can take part in discussions related to the the town's housing element, a post-election surprise that could ice her out of major town decisions. Tuesday, 2:24 PM

Portola Valley parents express support of teachers amid strained contract negotiations
Armed with large posters stating facts and quotes related to a contentious bargaining process, teachers and parents came before the school board on Nov. 17 to support better treatment and pay for teachers. Tuesday, 9:36 AM | 1 comments

Chan Zuckerberg Initiative announces 2023 CZI Community Fund grantees
Dozens of nonprofits across San Mateo County got an early Christmas gift from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, which announced the 2023 CZI Community Fund recipients. A total of $6 million has been split between 63 organizations. Tuesday, 7:52 AM

San Mateo County pays Woodside equestrian $750K settlement in wrongful arrest lawsuit
A Woodside woman who was arrested while suffering a medical emergency that deputies mistook for drug or alcohol impairment has settled her lawsuit against San Mateo County for $750,000, according to an agreement dated Aug. 1. Monday, 3:32 PM | 7 comments

Menlo Park hosts tree lighting event, bringing back the holiday tradition for the first time since COVID
Menlo Park's tree lighting event was held for the first time since 2019 in Fremont Park on Friday, Dec. 2. The event included an inflatable snow globe, snow fairies and performances by local children. Monday, 1:15 PM

Following Ray Mueller's electoral victory, Menlo Park seeks replacement for District 5 council seat
Following Council member Ray Mueller's election to the San Mateo Board of Supervisors and subsequent resignation, the Menlo Park City Council is seeking applications to finish out his term and represent District 5. Monday, 10:26 AM | 6 comments

San Mateo Community College District announces short list for future chancellor
The San Mateo County Community College District has announced three finalists, all who hold leadership roles at community college districts, for the role of chancellor. Monday, 8:05 AM

For the second time in a month, a student is found with gun on the Menlo-Atherton High campus
On Tuesday, for the second time in less than a month, Atherton police arrested a student on suspicion of bringing a firearm to Menlo-Atherton High School. Saturday, 6:02 PM | 4 comments

Caltrain reducing train service for two weeks for electrification work
Caltrain service between Belmont and Mountain View will be reduced by more than one-third and end earlier each night during a two-week period beginning Monday, Dec. 5.
Sunday, 9:05 AM

Prohibition rum runners and deadly shipwrecks: Pescadero's Pigeon Point Lighthouse turns 150
The local landmark that hosts daytrippers and hostel guests alike is about to undergo renovations that could increase public access. Sunday, 9:06 AM

Former Theranos president Ramesh 'Sunny' Balwani asks for no prison time; prosecutors want 15 years
In dueling sentencing memorandums filed late Wednesday night, lawyers for convicted Theranos executive Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani told a federal judge that their client should be put on probation and not serve any prison time. Friday, 2:08 PM

Ravenswood school district inks agreement to lease out district office site for high-density development
The Ravenswood City School District is one step closer to leasing out its district office, which could potentially bring in about $1.5 million to the district annually. Friday, 9:34 AM | 1 comments

Community briefs: Jeanie Ritchie grants winners announced, Menlo Park tree lighting and more
In this week's community briefs, upcoming holiday events, Menlo Park district grant winners announced and more. Friday, 10:56 AM | 1 comments

For two decades, Ravenswood Family Health Network has served low-income and uninsured people
After weeks of an unexplained 104-degree fever, an enlarged tonsil and stomach pain, 3-year-old Eliana got help at Ravenswood Family Health Network, a local nonprofit supported by The Almanac's Holiday Fund. Friday, 9:32 AM

Golden State Warriors star Steph Curry sells Atherton home for $31.15 million
Are Stephen and Ayesha Curry still Atherton residents? Records show the couple quietly sold their home in West Atherton last fall. Thursday, 10:42 AM | 1 comments

VIDEO: As Apple employees watch helplessly, thieves take $35K in merchandise on Black Friday
Two people who entered the Apple store in downtown Palo Alto on Nov. 25 during a busy Black Friday sales event made off with an estimated $35,000 in merchandise, Palo Alto police said. Thursday, 11:23 AM | 1 comments

Stanford to investigate university president's research over scientific misconduct allegations
The review comes after a student news outlet detailed suspected problems with Marc Tessier-Lavigne's research papers. Thursday, 11:05 AM

Soccer star's parents sue Stanford University after her death
The parents of a Stanford women's soccer star who died by suicide after learning she faced disciplinary action filed a lawsuit against the university and some of its top administrators last week. Wednesday, 10:20 AM

Meta says it left its Mountain View offices to build a 'best-in-class remote work experience.' Current employees beg to differ
According to Meta content moderators, contracted employees who worked at the company's now-vacated Mountain View office don't have the option to work from home. Wednesday, 11:42 AM

Portola Valley district trustee signs off after three years on the board
Portola Valley Elementary School District governing board members said goodbye on Nov. 17 to trustee Anne Fazioli-Khiari, who decided over the summer not to run for reelection this fall. Wednesday, 11:26 AM

Cold front expected to bring rain, wind and frost to Bay Area by Thursday
A cold front will bring wind and rain late Wednesday to the North Bay that will spread to the rest of the Bay Area by Thursday, according to the National Weather Service. Wednesday, 11:36 AM

End of an era: David Shaw closes door on 'magical' tenure as Stanford's football coach
The winningest football coach in the university's history looked back at his "magical" tenure and announced plans to spend time with his family during a press conference on Monday. Tuesday, November 29, 1:01 PM

Ravenswood school board approves initial design for $50 million renovation of Belle Haven Elementary
Belle Haven Elementary School will be the first campus to be renovated using money from a recently passed bond measure, with a $50 million budget for new facilities. Tuesday, November 29, 11:09 AM

Burglary reported at Portola Valley Hardware on Thanksgiving
Someone smashed the front glass door of Portola Valley Hardware & Feed and stole power tools and other merchandise on Thanksgiving morning, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office. Tuesday, November 29, 10:15 AM

Menlo Park City School District sends off longtime trustee
Flowers and cake was in order at the Thursday, Nov. 17, Menlo Park City School District board meeting, as the community said goodbye to longtime trustee Stacey Jones. Colleagues spoke with admiration of Jones' humble, calm demeanor. Tuesday, November 29, 10:15 AM

Beavers may help lessen damage from drought, Stanford research finds
Climate-driven droughts that create water-quality issues are proving to have a formidable foe: beavers. Monday, November 28, 3:35 PM | 1 comments

Community briefs: Atherton tree lighting, toy drive and open spots on the Portola Valley planning commission
The holiday season is in full swing in the coming weeks, with Atherton hosting a tree lighting and the town's police department hosting an annual toy drive. Portola Valley is also seeking volunteers to serve on its Planning Commission. Sunday, November 27, 8:36 AM

Four Seasons transforms outdoor terrace into holiday pop-up
The Four Seasons Silicon Valley hotel has brought back a seasonal pop-up on its outdoor terrace, transforming the space with semi-private wooden chalets, holiday foods, a sweet shop, fake snow and other holiday decor. Saturday, November 26, 10:11 AM

Driver in Redwood City collision that killed parents of twins arraigned, held without bond
The two Redwood City drivers facing second-degree murder charges for their involvement in a major vehicle collision that resulted in the death of a San Carlos couple appeared before a judge on Tuesday. Monday, November 28, 9:28 AM

When it comes to phasing out gas-powered leaf blowers, landscape professionals don't have much to say about it, according to outreach efforts by the city of Menlo Park. Thursday, 9:41 AM | 17 comments

Spare the Air Alert scheduled for Friday
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District is issuing the winter season's first Spare the Air Alert for Friday, calling for people to abstain from burning materials of any kind in fireplaces or outdoors. Thursday, November 24, 4:00 PM

Atherton is taking a gradual approach to going all-electric to curb the use of natural gas, offering exemptions for residents who don't want to give up their gas stoves. Meanwhile, Portola Valley's new rules have fewer loopholes. Thursday, 11:24 AM | 6 comments

Menlo Park photographer sentenced to 165 years to life for child molestation
A Menlo Park photographer who used his access to children to molest several of them over the last 30 years has been sentenced to 165 years to life in prison for his crimes, San Mateo District Attorney Stephen Wagstaffe said. Monday, November 28, 9:09 AM

Ravenswood School District sends off longtime trustee
The Ravenswood School District honored outgoing trustee Ana Maria Pulido on Nov. 17. Monday, November 28, 9:09 AM

Coronavirus central: FDA expands eligibility for omicron booster vaccines to children ages 5-11
Children ages 5-11 are now eligible for the COVID-19 booster vaccine targeting strains of the omicron variant after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration expanded the vaccine's authorization on Wednesday, Oct. 12. Thursday, October 13, 10:39 AM | 4 comments

Driving fitness, not age, could determine when to hand over the keys

Annual Holiday Fund drive kicks off

Man arrested for Stanford Shopping Center drive-by shooting

New 163-room hotel coming to Menlo Park's Bayfront neighborhood

December 2, 2022
December 2, 2022 edition

Download PDF
Sec 1  
November 25, 2022
November 25, 2022 edition

Download PDF
Sec 1  

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from Almanac Online sent to your inbox in the Express newsletter.

I Was At The Stanford Shooting. Let’s Do Better Next Time
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 3,213 views

Some of the best jobs around
By Sherry Listgarten | 4 comments | 2,639 views

Palo Alto's Pizz'a Chicago 'not ready to quit' and seeks funds to support downsizing
By The Peninsula Foodist | 4 comments | 2,009 views

People and Relationships Never Stop Being a Work in Progress
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,537 views

Support local families in need

Your contribution to the Holiday Fund will go directly to nonprofits supporting local families and children in need. Last year, Almanac readers and foundations contributed over $260,000.

DONATE