Registration is underway for enrollment in Menlo Park City School District's new preschool next school year.
Registration opened last month for children born between Sept. 1, 2014, and Dec. 1, 2016, for the preschool, called the Early Learning Center (ELC). The center opened on the Laurel School Lower Campus in Atherton in August and serves children ages 2.9 years to 5 years old.
There are 54 students enrolled in ELC this year, and the district hopes to expand the program to 72 next school year. District staff is exploring the possibility of opening an ELC classroom at Oak Knoll School in the west side of Menlo Park in 2019-20 if there's demand.
Tours of the ELC are available on Dec. 12 and Jan. 17 from 9 to 9:45 a.m.
The preschool's enrollment priorities are as follows:
• Priority 1 — Current ELC students and their siblings.
• Priority 2 — District residents and children eligible for the Tinsley Voluntary Transfer Program who qualify for an Early Learning Center scholarship.
• Priority 3 — Children of district staff (children of ELC staff
will receive first priority among staff).
• Priority 4 — Children who live outside of district boundaries.
• Priority 5 — Children whose families apply after Feb. 15.
The program offers scholarships for 25 percent of enrollees. There are full- and part-day options.
The application period closes on Feb. 1.
Parents can apply on the district’s website at mpcsd.org. For more information, email ELC director Jessica Mihaly at [email protected] For information in Spanish, email Wendy Valencia at [email protected] or call 650-324-0186. ext. 8900.