A suspect in multiple armed robberies who was arrested Aug. 16 after a nearly 10-hour standoff outside a North Fair Oaks home has pleaded not guilty to five counts of robbery and five counts of commercial burglary.
Miguel Angel Caballero, 30, who is suspected of using a phony gun to pull off as many as five robberies at businesses in North Fair Oaks and Redwood City last month, entered his plea in San Mateo County Superior Court on Wednesday.
Between Aug. 7 and Aug. 14, Mr. Caballero allegedly walked into four markets and one gas station carrying a black pellet gun that looked like a semi-automatic handgun, said Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Guidotti.
In four of the five robberies, he was caught committing the robberies on video surveillance cameras, police said. After images taken from surveillance footage were released to the public, investigators received a flood of tips and information, according to Redwood City police.
On Aug. 16, Mr. Caballero was tracked to a residence on Williams Avenue in North Fair Oaks, where he rented an apartment. Police and SWAT officers surrounded the residence, and after a standoff that lasted nearly 10 hours, he surrendered and was taken into custody.
In an interview with police, Mr. Caballero reportedly confessed to the robberies and said that he acted out of need to put food on the table for his girlfriend and her five children, according to the district attorney's office.
Mr. Caballero remains in custody on $250,000 bail and is due back in court for a preliminary hearing on Oct. 9.