Around Town: Public invited to community dayThe public is invited to a community day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, at Folger Stable in Wunderlich County Park, 4040 Woodside Road in Woodside.
There will be trail rides for $20, pony rides for children for $5, tours of the property, and light refreshments. Folger Stable, operated by Bay Area Equestrian Connection (BAEC), provides public horse riding and horse boarding programs for the community. In addition to public boarding for up to 30 horses, BAEC offers guided trail rides, spring and summer camps for children, and western riding lessons.
Visit Folgerstable.com or call 529-1028 for more information.
Valpo Bowl raises funds for Bridge
The Valparaiso Bowl (Valpo Bowl) football game, played between Sacred Heart Prep and Menlo School on Nov. 9, once again raised funds for the Peninsula Bridge program.
Proceeds from the game's gate and concessions amounted to nearly $25,000, plus an additional $20,000 in matching gifts from Circle of Champions donors, according to Bridge spokesman Maureen Garrett.
Sacred Heart Prep defeated Menlo School 31-28 in the 10th annual bowl game benefiting Peninsula Bridge, a tuition-free, four-consecutive-summers program for middle-school students from under-resourced communities on the Peninsula. For the past 20 years, both schools have been sites for the program, which has served more than 6,000 students.
Several years ago, former Atherton resident Bill Shaw, father of two Sacred Heart Prep graduates, organized the Circle of Champions.
This year, in honor of Mr. Shaw's longtime efforts, Peninsula Bridge is inaugurating Bill's Books. The fund will donate up to $500 to randomly selected Bridge alumni to use toward the cost of books in their freshman college year.
Museum upgrades exhibit on county history
The San Mateo County History Museum has reopened its exhibit space, "Joseph W. Welch Jr. Gallery: Journey to Work."
The 1,500-square-foot gallery, which explores how different forms of transportation changed San Mateo County, has been substantially upgraded, thanks to a gift from the Christensen Family Foundation. New objects that the public will see include a high-wheel bicycle, historic and miniature saddles, a 19th century slot machine, a 1948 jukebox, and 1950s iconic fixtures such as a coke machine, a telephone booth and a gas pump.
A variety of historic photographs will be on display for the first time. New platforms stanchions and mounts are being fabricated for the opening. Museum staff has restored a damaged old bar from the San Gregorio Hotel.
The exhibit have a video component allowing one to "drive" an old streetcar and an audio unit for the phone booth that will invite visitors to hear about the Peninsula's automobile culture of the 1950s.
The gallery is named for the recently deceased Joseph W. Welch Jr. because of a contribution made in his name by his family that will allow the museum to install a new climate-control system. The Welch family is also lending the museum objects from its historic slot machine collection.
The museum is located in the historical courthouse building at 2200 Broadway in Redwood City.
Visit historysmc.org or call 299-0104 for more information.