Election 2012: Local donations to
The presidential campaign of Barack Obama has raised $1.25 million in contributions from local individuals, nearly twice as much as the $682,832 the Mitt Romney campaign has raised, according to data through June 30, compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks money in politics.
These are contributions made directly to the presidential campaigns and do not include donations to other organizations that support the campaigns, such as political parties and super PACs. This report deals with contributions by people who report associations with ZIP codes from one of the four Almanac towns: Atherton, Menlo Park, Portola Valley or Woodside.
There is an explanation for why the Romney campaign trails the Obama campaign by such a wide margin. Because Mr. Obama was running unopposed, donors to his campaign committee have been able to give the maximum ($2,500) for each election, both the primary and the general, a total of $5,000. That's not true of Mr. Romney, who faced substantial opposition in the primaries. While he faced opposition, donors to his campaign committee could give only up to $2,500 for the primary election .
Mr. Obama's campaign has received 148 local donations of $5,000 each, whereas Mr. Romney has received eight, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, the source of data for this story.
The gap between the Obama and Romney campaigns narrows considerably when you look at only primary election donations and the individuals who gave the maximum $2,500 for the primary elections. In that case, Mr. Romney's campaign raised about $493,000 from local individuals and Mr. Obama's, $529,000.
Using this measure, the candidates are essentially tied in Portola Valley in terms of dollar donations, while in Woodside Mr. Obama is up by 14 percentage points, and in Menlo Park by 34 points. In Atherton, Mr. Romney leads by 20 points.
In addition to limits on donations to presidential campaigns, there are limits on contributions to a national party committee ($30,000 per calendar year) and to a state, district or local party committee ($10,000 per year), according to the Federal Election Commission. As for so-called super PACs, an individual may give an unlimited amount to advance a political point of view if the organization does not "coordinate" its efforts with a candidate or campaign.
Following are local donors who have given at least $2,500 to Barack Obama's presidential campaign, according to the Center for Responsive Politics:
• Portola Valley: Polly W. Bredt, Thomas H. Bredt, Lise J. Buyer, Gayle Collat, Laura Cornish, Dennis Debroeck Eileen Donahoe, John Donahoe, Donna L. Dubinsky, Anne S. Galli, Judith Hasko, Nancy Heinen, Jeffrey D. Jordan, Vinod Khosla, Gregory King, Karen King, Joseph C. Krauskopf, Steven Krausz, Chong-Moon Lee, Richard J. Lee, Joann Loulan, James McGeever, Armand Neukermans, Elaine Neukermans, Steve Newman, Dorothy Polash, Kathy Reavis, Elizabeth B. Ross, Nicole Rubin Diana Sunshine, Arlene B. Tenenbaum, Jay M. Tenenbaum, Lawrence Tesler, Leonie Walker.
• Woodside: Roger J. Bamford, Andrew Bridges, Susan Z. Breyer, Victoria Burns Humphrey, Diane M. Chesler, Joy Covey, Laura H. Covington, John C. Dean Jr., John Doerr, John Doyle, Elizabeth C. Dressel, Cindy Goldberg, Evan Goldberg, Alan C. Herzig, Grant Huberty, Roberta Kameda, Deepak Kamra, David Klausner, Elizabeth Korman, Mitchell Lasky, Mary Ellen Lemieux, Ronald Lemieux, Shirley Ludwig, James E. Lyons, Laird McCulloch, Ann K. McNamee, Laura Nibbi, Yagyensh Pati, Lois Ann Porter, Caitlyn Symone Prather, Sally Rau, Erica J. Rogers, Dan Rosenweig, Eve Shaw, Nicole Sheehan, John Shoch, Robert E. Sims, Deborah Suppes, John Thompson, Sandra Thompson, Frank Van Veenendaal, Lisa Wan, Maurice Werdegar, Pegi Young.
• Atherton: Fred Alvarez, Alan Austin, Vinod Bhardwaj, Jennifer Blakely, Jennifer Carrico, Bita Daryabari, Jorge Del Calvo, Caroline Donahue, Marilee Gardner, David Goldberg, John D. Goldman, Marcia L. Goldman, Noosheen Hashemi, Caitlin Heising, Mark Heising, Matthew Heising, David Henig, Manuel Henriquez, Felicia Horowitz, Lawrence Horowitz, Susan Hyatt, Ross Jaffe, Edward D. Johnson, David Keller, Chris M. Kelly, Steven Kleiman, Ross Koningstein, Hilarie Koplow-McAdams, Omid Kordestani, James M. Koshland, Jim Koshland, Patricia Kubal, Joan Lane, Gary Lauder, Laura Lauder, Gregory Loew, Giacomo Marini, Steve Markoulis Charles L. Marks, Steve McAdams, Beth McLellan Marjorie McMorris, Agnes Mendelson, Alan C. Mendelson, Dianne Morton, James Neupert John O'Farrell, Renuka Prasad, Geoff Ralston, Arvind P. Relan, Sheryl K. Sandberg, Komal Shah Elizabeth Simons, Patrisia Spezzaferro, Jim Stephens, John Suttle, Richard Thesing, Lida Urbanek, Arthur Wong, Brenda Woodson.
• Menlo Park: Sheri Anderson, Clarence Andresen, Joseph S. Andresen, Jody Beecher, Eugene James Boyle, Jody Buckley, David C. Burke, Brook H. Byers, Andrea Corney, Lee Courtney, Lance Dixon, Melissa P. Draper, Timothy Draper, Judith Estrin, Robert Alan Eustace, Diane Frankle, Gregory M. Gallo, Penny Gallo, Venky Ganesan, Maria Gomes, Peter Gregory, Karen Grove, Stephen J. Harrick, Judy Heyboer, Bill Hinman Donna Ito, Cathryn Jenkins, Michael Jung, Scott Kaspick, Kathy Ann Kwan, Craig Lewis, Angela MacFarlane, Michael Malecek, Wendy Malecek, Bonnie Matlock, Beth Ellyn McClendon, Roderick McInerney, John McMurtry, Beverly Mitchell, Sally Morton, Brad O'Brien, Judy O'Brien, Carol Orton, Kay Pauling, Claire E. Perry, Joyce Pharriss, Shervin Pishevar, Andrew Rappaport, Heyward Robinson, Diane W. Savage, Catherine Selleck, Nancy B. Serrurier, Susan Termohlen, Immanuel Thangaraj, Stephen J. Venuto, Babette Vllasenor, Jeff Weiner, Steven Westly, Jason Wheeler, Jackie Wood, Eric Wright.
Following are donors who have given at least $2,500 to Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, according to the Center for Responsive Politics:
• Portola Valley: Robert R. Allen Jr., Michael J. Boskin, Carter Boyce, James D. Boyce, Richard W. Boyce, Sandra Boyce, Travis Boyce, Laird Cagan, Douglas C. Carlisle, Andrew Chase, Jacquelyn S. Curtis, Mark T. Curtis, Jeff Epstein, Sue Epstein, William S. Floyd, Daniel Gilbert, Amy Gurley, John Gurley, Judith H. Hamilton, Kenneth L. Hirsch, Kurt Jaggers, Suzanne K. Jaggers, Denny Lanfear, Karen Lanfear, George McCown, John M. McGraw, Dorian McKelvy, Scott McNealy, Susan McNealy, Christopher J. Molumphy, Ralph A. Pica, G. Kirk Raab, Maryann Raab, Daniel Webb.
• Woodside: Deborah E. Addicott, Betty Bialek, Fred Bialek, H. Raymond Bingham, Kristin Bingham, Lawrence Bowman, Jonathan Coslet, Frederick Degrosz, Kenneth Diekroeger, Oliver Evans, Mary E. Finlayson, Norris Finlayson, Kenneth Fisher, Sherrilyn Fisher, Rhodine Gifford, Emma Goltz, Frederick Goltz, John Hamilton, Fredric W. Harman, Stephanie C. Harman, Gregory J. Hartman, Bruce Isackson, Robert C. Kagle, Ann M. Livermore, Thomas H. Livermore, Armas C. Markkula, Linda Markkula, Marissa E. Matusich-Kagle, Matthew K. McCauley, Mary Meeker, Harold M. Messmer Jr., Daniel W. Morehead, Helen O'Neill, Gary Pinkus, Erik D. Ragatz, Kendra L.H. Ragatz, Jeanne Rosner, Larry Solomon, Barbara Sonsini, Larry Sonsini.
• Atherton: Douglas C. Allred, Carol Bartz Bruce Basso, Peter Bell, Douglas Bergeron,Sandra Bergeron, Ivan J. Brockman, James Carrathers, Noreen N. Carrathers, John D. Carter, George W. Cogan, Bret E. Comolli, David Crawford, Brenden P. Cullen, John D. Diekman, Donald R. Dixon, Bruce Dunlevie, Barbara H. Edwards, Jennifer Fonstad, Stephen B Gaddis, Susan Gaddis, Lainie Garrick, Gary George, Michael L. Goguen, Kenneth Goldman, Linda Grais, Dr. Griffith R. Harsh IV, David A. Haynes, Stanley J. Hiller Jr., Jeffrey Housenbold, Ruth Housenbold, Bradford C. Koenig, Lauren Koenig, Pierre Lamond, Pierre R. Lamond, Steven A. Laub, William P. Laughlin, David Mark, Nancy H. Mark, Debra McLean, James McLean, Mervin G. Morris, Missy Morris, Robert O'Donnell ,Tom P. Palecek, Patricia Perkins-Leone, Vivek Ranadive, Christine Rogers, Jennifer Rogers, Jesse T. Rogers, Mindy Rogers, Mario Rosati, Laurie Shepard, Roderick Shepard, William C. Sonneborn, Catherine R. Spieker, Tod Spier, Barbara Stephenson, Thomas F. Stephenson, Mark A. Stevens, Mary V. Stevens, George Joseph Still Jr., Barbara Alison Walecka, John Walecka, Frank Walters, Alan Waxman, Mary J. Wheeler George, Margaret C. Whitman, David B. Wright, Arthur F. Zafiropoulo, Lisa Zafiropoulo, Delon Zinn, Ray Zinn.
• Menlo Park: Katherine Herbert Alden, Jeff Bird, Mary Jo Brimhall, B. J. Cassin, Bebe Cassin, David Castagna, Karen Castagna, Jeff Chambers, Robert Dean, Timothy C. Draper, Victoria Huff Eckert, Diego Gilbert Fonstad, Saul Fox, Cassius L. Kirk Jr., John Knoll, Donald Lucas, Grant L. Malquist, David F. Marquardt, Lori Marquardt, George E. McCown, J. Sanford Miller, Amity Susan Millhiser, Ellen H. Moran, R. Matthew Moran, Sanjay Morey, Roslyn Morris, Greg Mrva, Marion Oster, Robert J. Oster, Stephen Peters, Carolee R. Petterson, Dale J. Petterson, Jeanette S. Ritchie, Jeffrey A. Rodgers, Doug Roeder, Bryan Taylor, Pyeatt Taylor, Alan R. Thompson, Jon A. Woodruff, Tiffany A. Woodruff, Geoff Yang.