Menlo-Atherton Little Leaguers honored for good sportsmanshipSubmitted by Carla Posthauer of the Menlo-Atherton Little League.
Each year Menlo-Atherton Little League honors one player per team for good sportsmanship. The league's goal, with the support of the Positive Coaching Alliance, is to recognize players who consistently exhibit a positive attitude, support for teammates and a sense of fair play, and handle tough situations with good sportsmanship.
In addition to the players, coaches are honored for being "dual goal" coaches. The Positive Coaching Alliance has defined the "dual goal coach" as one who balances the goal to win with respect for all players, coaches, and umpires.
On Saturday, June 11, the 2011 winners of the Menlo-Atherton Little League's Sportsmanship Awards were announced. The winners are:
• Majors Division: Coaches Brian Rodrigues and Dan Aguiar. Players Joseph Hoy, Sam Chazen, Max Comolli, Michael Liebsch, Davos Paquin and Connor Mead.
• AAA Division: Coach Dean Wilkins. Players Aidan Chandra, Sam Forese, James Plaschke, William Meinhardt, James Homer, Emilio Obando, Ryan Crowley, Garrett Kelly, Alexios Stavropolous and Will Frimel.
•AA Division: Coach John Sakamoto. Players Ryan Philbin, Collin Brahana, Branden Fox, Bryant Gavello, Jack Phillips and Luke Hammarskjold.
•A Division: Coach Scott Evars. Players Peter Koenig, Ryan Cox, Alexander Baigorria, Samuel Judas, Isaac Heintze and Jake Karp.
• Coach Pitch Division: Coach Brian Roberts. Players Hassen Hove, Jackson Williams, Dylan Murphy, Chase Hurwitz, Ben Miller and Gabriel Buigas.
• T-ball Division: Coach Evonne Dunne. Players Jackson Bryman, Nicholas Machicao, Ryan Kelly, Emmett Avrach, Angelina Edwards, Davis Phillips.
• Challenger Division: Player Cameron Todd.