Menlo Park: Political newcomer leads busy life Menlo Park, posted by Editor, The Almanac Online, on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Listening to Dave Bragg, 34, reel off the many demands on his time is dizzying: A father of three young children, Mr. Bragg also juggles being a firefighter with owning a construction company with coaching football and Little League with volunteering for Rebuilding Peninsula with ... the list goes on. And now he's added "run for Menlo Park City Council."
Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, July 6, 2012, 8:56 AM
Posted by Bob, a resident of the Woodside: Emerald Hills neighborhood, on Jul 7, 2012 at 8:23 am
J Davis proposes a 95% tax.
Odd that someone who has railed against taxes would propose such. Imagine a proposalm that we add an additional 2% tax on Mr Davis' pension, retirement and/or social security at the same time his 95% tax was discussed - yes, imagine the howls of protest from Mr Davis.
The level of vitriol and hypocrisy from the fringe right is at an all time high.
Good luck to Mr Bragg. Be interesting to hear a new voice, albeit with all the usual suspets attempting to drown him out on these boards.
I'm not really from Emerald Hills; just visiting and find it interesting to note that J Davis was first in the pond, from afar.
Posted by Roy Thiele-Sardiņa, a resident of the Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park neighborhood, on Jul 9, 2012 at 10:39 am Roy Thiele-Sardiņa is a member (registered user) of Almanac Online
With all due respect to Mr. Bragg. Measure L ONLY limits future pensioners because LEGALLY that's ALL we can do. If he is volunteering his brethren at the Menlo Park Fire Protection District to take IMMEDIATE cuts in their pension (to save the money now as he has suggested), I'll pass that along to the Board there for IMMEDIATE action. Thanks Dave for letting us know, we'll credit you with the idea and the MONUMENTAL savings. Are you promising the Uion won't sue?
In the meantime, we at Citizens for Fair and Responsible Pension Reform (Measure L) feel strongly that ANY reductions in Pension Cost for Menlo Park are GOOD, and that over the long term we will benefit from Measure L's passage.
BTW, where was Mr. Bragg during the Measure L battle? Never showed up at ANY Council Meetings to voice his opinion.....hmmm.
Co-Chairman of Citizens for Fair and Responsible Pension Reform (Measure L)
Posted by bob, a resident of the Woodside: other neighborhood, on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Not being a resident of MP I can't vote , but it would seem to me that Mr. Bragg has enough on his plate and where will he find the time to attend meetings. I wonder if he has to recuse himself on pension votes since he is covered by the fireman's pension plan.
Posted by econ 101, a resident of the Menlo Park: Belle Haven neighborhood, on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36 am
City of Menlo Park workers are an exceptionally well compensated bunch already. Has anyone else noticed that those jobs are never advertised? Shouldn't current residents be encouraged to apply?
What sort of wage enables people to "enjoy the community?" Based on my observations, I'd guess about $300k. That's a pretty dumb way to determine salary scales. How about letting the market decide, which is what the private sector does? I'd guess there is a lot of demand for those jobs, or would be, if regular citizens knew how to apply for them.
Posted by Bob, a resident of the Menlo Park: Downtown neighborhood, on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:37 am
To Fred: your comment may be well and good, but please balance that with financial responsibility. What is the breaking point of providing the amount of city services versus paying the wage level (and benefits) you suggest? If, for example, the city's budget is 80% personnel costs, that only leaves 20% to spend on everything else.
Some local government employee salaries and the benefit packages exceed the limits -- a local school superintendent who oversees 4 schools and make over $200K plus benefits; a local fire chief who oversees 3 stations the same; a local police commander whose salary is $190K+ plus benefits; and the list goes on.