Posted by Menlo Voter, a resident of the Menlo Park: other neighborhood, on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm
we can trash a mode of transportation that has been a success in Europe and Japan for several reasons:
1. Japan and Europe have much higher population densities along the routes served by high speed rail.
2. European and Japanese high speed rail are heavily subsidized by the governments in which they are located. Something that was SPECIFICALLY stated by the propositiona that got people to vote for it would NOT, repeat NOT happen. Now it is becoming quite clear this is not the truth. The facts are that HSR in California will REQUIRE subsidies from the state. Something we CANNOT afford. This was a Lie sold to the voters by the proponents of HSR.
3. HSR was sold with a price tag of $33 billion. Now it's $98.5 billion. Another lie. You can bet the ACTUAL costs will be MUCH higher.
4. HSR was sold with a price of $30 for a ticket. Now it's at least $200. Another lie used to sell HSR.
5. HSR was supposed ot be built at least 10 years earlier that the latest projection of 2033. Another LIE used to sell HSR.
6. The trip to LA was supposed to be 2 1/2 hours, now the projections are longer. Another LIE used to HSR.
Now do you understand why, Mr. Loomis, that the voters of California want a revote? We were LIED to. We no longer buy the garbage we were sold by the HSR folks. We do not want to subsidize this boondoggle into perpetuity, nor do we want our grandchildren and great-grandchildren subsidizing it either. HSR will never provide what the LIARS promissed and the electorate is finally figuring that out.