Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Aug 23, 2011
As an alternative to incessant whining, one could choose to take responsibility by electing fiscally responsive government officials, who might in turn:
1) Massively reform California's welfare system,
2) Take on the Union bosses (could be seen as a subset of number 1),
3) Boot the illegals,
4) Make English the default language of government and, in general,
5) Decrease other various and sundry costs of doing business in CA (such as pushing extreme environmental regulations that no other state, let alone country, would adopt, therefore rendering the burdens we impose on our businesses pointless).
If we had been taking these measures, along with others that could be easily enumerated, over the past 40 years, we would be running surpluses, not worrying about driving more businesses out of our state.
Sorry, that should have read "fiscally responsible." Although "responsive" would be a refreshing change, as well....
Amazon not paying CA sales tax is NOT why CA is having a budget crises and it's not why local businesses are not doing better. Working on Point 5 in the above comment would help. As well, relaxing the absurd parking restrictions in Menlo Park would go a long way for the businesses commenting in the article. I NEVER get a parking ticket when shopping at Amazon.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
The Saddle Room – A True Friend of Kids
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 2,029 views
The Four E's--Pope Francis and the Middle Class
By Steve Levy | 3 comments | 916 views
My College Mindset is Intrinsically Motivated
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 761 views
I'm glad I turned on the TV
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 262 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.