Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Aug 18, 2011
Amazon should absolutely collect and forward sales tax from its customers. I'm a heavy user of Amazon, but I don't see any logic in giving them (and their customers) a privileged pricing policy compared to storefronts.
Also, I chatted at length with a signature gatherer for Amazon's petition to have a referendum. He is a roving professional, paid $3.50 for each valid signature he collects, and he says there are thousands of paid signature gatherers across the state who are happy to sign you up.
I may choose to buy online, but I welcome the sales tax to support our communities.
The sooner most of these defunct physical retail businesses disappear, the better off we will all be. Confusing commerce with community is part of the problem with the US.
Change requires all to change. These physical retailers should either adapt or add more value. What consumers are sayig en masse is that they don't see the value in most physical retail.
The sooner it disappears, the less traffic and less concrete jungles we will have.
Also, bookstores should be ashamed. A HUGE amount of garbage are paper and book products.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
I Told My Mom She's Dying
By Chandrama Anderson | 11 comments | 2,475 views
Grab a Bowl of Heaven soon in Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 1,790 views
Quick Check List for UC Applications
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 1,210 views
Fancy Fast and Fun!
By Laura Stec | 3 comments | 948 views
“I live near Sunset”
By Stuart Soffer | 5 comments | 470 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2014 The Almanac
All rights reserved.