Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jul 12, 2011
Let us hope that they will pay vet close attention and that the burn will be confined to the planned 1.2 acres.
I'm the administrative director of Jasper Ridge.
While the area to be burned is quite small, about 1.2 acres, a mowed perimeter has been created. The burn plan is based on weather, topography and fuel conditions. We have prepared the area by mowing and the mowed lines will be wet down just before the burn. All this is preventive to minimize the risk of the fire escaping. There will be two Type 3 engines and crews as well as a water tender and crew from the Woodside Fire Protection District for this effort. CAL FIRE manages the actual fire with hose laid and connected to a nearby hydrant. Finally, fire fighters and Jasper Ridge staff will be monitoring the site for several hours after the burn.
I favor an expanded, proactive controlled-burn program to remove the 70-year or so build-up of fuel we keep hearing about. No one likes the interim results, but it is the only way to forestall an utter conflagration.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Continuation of Office Cap Discussion
By Steve Levy | 17 comments | 3,220 views
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 2,343 views
Ramen shop replaces Muracciís in Los Altos
By Elena Kadvany | 10 comments | 2,157 views
"Itís Not About the Nail"
By Chandrama Anderson | 3 comments | 1,663 views
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 1,204 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 The Almanac
All rights reserved.