Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jan 12, 2010
I am so sorry to hear of Joan's passing. Two year's ago, in WCT's 2007 production of Music Man, I wore a costume that I know had been lovingly sewn by Joan for the Music Man cast back in the 1980s. I felt so happy to be wearing a garment that had been saved and passed on. I thought about the other productions I had participated in where Joan had done the costumes. She was a kind human being, and there is much to be said for that.
I too will miss Joan a lot. I met her at the Almanac, but I really came to know her while talking my morning walks in Woodside. She was always out walking, too, and I ran into her and stopped to chat several times a week. She cared a lot about her neighbors and her community, and served as a role model for me about how to remain active well into retirement.
I was a classmate of Joan's from Kindergarten through UC Berkeley. We shared the same birthday and, thus, were "twins". I was the other gaduation speaker/valedictorian and we have stayed in touch all these years, as I have lived in Palo Alto for over 50 years.
She was a lovely lady and will be greatly missed by all who knew her.
I too, will miss Joan Sellman. She was truly a sweet lady. I would like to correct one date in your article. Mr. Sellman became a teacher at Woodside School for the 1957-58 school year as my eighth grade teacher and in my adulthood as my boss. He and Joan will be remembered always.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Atherton: Lindenwood
- Atherton: Lloyden Park
- Atherton: other
- Atherton: West Atherton
- Atherton: West of Alameda
- Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
- Menlo Park: Belle Haven
- Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
- Menlo Park: Downtown
- Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
- Menlo Park: Felton Gables
- Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
- Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
- Menlo Park: other
- Menlo Park: Park Forest
- Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
- Menlo Park: South of Seminary/Vintage Oaks
- Menlo Park: Stanford Hills
- Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
- Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
- Menlo Park: The Willows
- Menlo Park: University Heights
- Portola Valley: Brookside Park
- Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
- Portola Valley: Ladera
- Portola Valley: Los Trancos Woods/Vista Verde
- Portola Valley: other
- Portola Valley: Portola Valley Ranch
- Portola Valley: Westridge
- Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
- Woodside: Emerald Hills
- Woodside: Family Farm/Hidden Valley
- Woodside: Kings Mountain/Skyline
- Woodside: Mountain Home Road
- Woodside: other
- Woodside: Skywood/Skylonda
- Woodside: Woodside Glens
- Woodside: Woodside Heights
- Woodside: Woodside Hills
- Belle Haven Elementary
- Corte Madera School
- Encinal School
- Hillview Middle School
- James Flood Magnet School
- La Entrada School
- Las Lomitas School
- Laurel School
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Oak Knoll School
- Ormondale School
- Willow Oaks Elementary
- Woodside High School
- Woodside School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Best High Dives to Watch the Game
By Laura Stec | 14 comments | 2,516 views
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,388 views
King of the Slides
By Cheryl Bac | 2 comments | 1,072 views
Where the Sidewalk Ends
By Paul Bendix | 1 comment | 254 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Menlo Park
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
Mountain View Voice
© 2014 The Almanac
All rights reserved.