Boyle-Duboc-Winkler sweep - Success sells
Original post made by Divk Poe, Menlo Park: Downtown, on Nov 6, 2006
As best I have observed, Bressler-Cline-Robinson have run a take-no-prisoners insurgent campaign:
- They have used 8 separate organizations/surrogates to run an incredibly expensive negative campaign filled with smears & attacks.
- No one entity looks as if it is spending that much money, but collectively it has to be the single largest truckload of special-interest cash ever dumped on a MP City Council race. I am aware of about 13 glossy mailers, drop pieces and sundry others, the true cost of which must have been well over 6 figures
- These are no "aw shucks" fellows. Polarization and misrepresentation have been their version of a platform. The only positions I really know about is their opposition to Measure "J" and the manufactured claim that they would have done about everything the incumbents actually did - except that they would have done it better and without any form of dissent or controversy in the community (sure......).
For all the well-planted postings I have seen on this Forum and in the press from its Almanac News sponsor (which makes scant secret of its opposition to the incumbents) the only negative campaigning has come from Bressler-Cline-Robinson. Boyle-Duboc-Winkler have run a relentlessly upbeat campaign, talking to voters about their record of success. What a record it has been, indeed:
- A net balanced budget during the 4 years following the dot-com bust.
- A minimum $1.3M surplus this fiscal year
- Preservation of the City's AAA bond rating and its $27M reserves.
- A new auto mall and potential taxes of up to $3M
- A new hardware store downtown
- A new hotel worth about $2M/year in new taxes
- A new pool operated at a $400,000+ annual savings to the City
- A beautiful new Child Care Center at a savings of $3.5 - $4.5M to the taxpayers when compared to the Taj Mahal boondoggle planned by their predecessors.
- Commercial streamlining to bring in additional business tax revenue to pay for our long-term fiscal solvency and the quality of life residents have come to expect without raising their taxes.
- Oh, and those "divisive" efforts to stem the out-of-control spiral of municipal employee pension and health care costs which threatens the long-term financial stability of MP and the entire state.
What a concept!!!!! Incumbents who have had a record to run on, have told us about it, and who haven't had to sling scurrilous charges like Bressler-Cline-Robinson and their SEIU municipal union and other surrogates. My prediction is that MP voters get it. They know the difference between a record with a plan for the future - and expensive whining. Sorry to dissent Tim. My bet is on Duboc-Winkler-Boyle.
Mademoiselle Colette, now open in downtown Menlo Park
By Elena Kadvany | 11 comments | 2,663 views
How early is too early to make or buy a Halloween costume
By Cheryl Bac | 9 comments | 457 views
Removing El Camino lanes from parking or vehicle movement >> HSR v BART
By Stuart Soffer | 7 comments | 406 views