Dissolution Dialogue on Healthcare Districts

Original post made by Jack Hickey, Woodside: Emerald Hills, on Aug 1, 2014

In my 11 years as an elected Director of the Sequoia Healthcare District I have found it impossible to have a dialog with the Board majority which has ignored suggestions of the San Mateo County Civil Grand Jury and the Local Agency Formation Commission(LAFCo). Recently, I had a dialogue with one of my counterparts on the Peninsula Healthcare District. I am inviting all directors of both districts to join in. And, of course, public comments are welcome.

This story contains 2044 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 1, 2014 at 2:42 pm

ZELL:
Jack, this dialogue is very interesting to me. However, the Civil Grand Jury’s failure to discuss the enabling statutes fatally undermines its persuasiveness. As a lawyer, I think our health care districts have been acting in conformity with the broad enabling statutes as a legal matter.
The political question of whether health care districts should continue to exist is an interesting one. But, as mentioned in my previous emails, I believe their potential to facilitate sustainable non-governmental solutions to health care issues justifies their continued existence. For instance, leasing land to private hospital companies is certainly in the public interest. The public gets to keep hospitals where they want them, but are not burdened with higher taxes to build and operate them. And the risk of losing money is on the private companies. I guarantee you that if hospital districts were building and managing hospitals today, the tax necessary to sustain them would be many times more than the measly $50 or so per parcel that is currently being assessed.
I see the same potential to find private solutions for other health care issues that are currently paid for by government. It seems to me that if you were to do away with the health care districts, you would sell-out one of the best opportunities for reforming the current dysfunctional public health care and safety-net system for a lousy $50 bucks per year. Why not use your position to help identify and kick-start innovative non-governmental solutions?

HICKEY:
Dennis, the Civil Grand Jury focussed on voter intent. I have researched the enabling statutes. See: Web Link and Web Link
I determined that petitioning for dissolution via these statutes has a reasonable signature requirement, but requires a 2/3 vote of the electorate to dissolve a district. If LAFCo were to proceed with dissolution, the required vote would be a simple majority, which is much more attainable.
I agree that “... leasing land to private hospital companies is certainly in the public interest.” But, it doesn’t require a healthcare district to do that. Nor does it require a healthcare district to educate nurses.
The SMCCCD, whose stature has greatly benefitted from the nursing programs funded by SHD and PHD, could certainly continue these programs with the added revenue they would receive if SHD and PHD were dissolved.
SMCCCD also might be the logical agency to inherit the “Healthy Schools” initiatives of SHD and PHD.
And, SHD and PHD funding of Samaritan House is not something on which healthcare districts have a monopoly. In fact, I asked Kitty Lopez if Samaritan House could survive without funding from SHD. Her answer, of course, was “yes”.
And, transferring $1,350,000/year from the District to the Children’s Health Initiative does not require a $200,000/year CEO.
Regarding Community Grants, I agree with the position taken by Charlie Bronitsky Web Link

ZELL:
Jack, focusing on original intent does not make sense in this context because the statutes governing health care districts have been amended by the California Legislature.
The Legislature provides for the creation of political subdivisions (such as cities, counties, and special districts) for practical reasons such as the undeniable benefit of local governance and local control. However, such political subdivisions are always subject to the superior legislative power of the state, and exist at the pleasure of the state. Under your strict construction, the California Legislature could never expand or restrict the power of political subdivisions that were created under the laws of the state. That interpretation is, in my view, absurd and unconstitutional. Future Legislatures always have the power to amend the enactments of prior Legislatures; the Legislative power can only be restricted by constitutional amendment (e.g. Prop. 13).
Moreover, the ideas that 1) government should only allow government employees to accomplish the will of the people, and that 2) private entities cannot be paid by government entities to accomplish public goals, are two notions that I disagree with as well. I would argue that private entities, especially many non-profits, are able to accomplish public goals much more efficiently some of the time.
Whether it is wise to give money to a non-profit in any particular situation depends upon the circumstances, but the concept of giving money to a non-profit should not be categorically rejected.
It seems to me that many of your arguments are based upon the false premise of illegality. If you want to do away with health care districts because they are repugnant to your Libertarian political philosophy then be intellectually honest and say so. I think you lose credibility when you cloak your political arguments in the guise of unsound legal arguments.

HICKEY:
Dennis, the Legislature also provided for the reorganization and dissolution of special districts through LAFCo. LAFCo has since adopted the following “sphere of influence” for SHD and PHD:
Both Districts have rejected dissolution and consolidation, and have failed to explore the expansion of the districts to include all San Mateo County residents.
PHD responded by saying “Since Proposition 13 would prevent the creation of new tax revenues for this new agency (without other agencies giving up a portion of their revenues) the new agency would be funded solely by the residents of the existing two (merged) Districts.” SHD neglected to address that recommendation.
There is an obvious solution:
Proposition 13 does not prevent legislation which would enable the Board of Supervisors to conduct an election allowing the majority of county voters to effect the “giving up” of a portion of other agencies revenues to implement a countywide healthcare district without a tax increase. Such a measure would likely pass, unless voters decide that other agencies could fill in those “...socially undesirable or deficient health care service ‘gaps’”.
In the case of the Healthy Schools program, such agencies already exist. They’re called school districts. CHI is countywide and does not benefit from the existence of PHD and SHD. The nursing programs do not directly benefit residents of the districts.
How about PHD and SHD stop collecting property taxes and use their endowment to act as information providers which promote worthwhile non-profit organizations which fill in those “...socially undesirable or deficient health care service ‘gaps’”? Oh, wait a minute. We already have a privately funded non-profit which assists those other organizations. Thrive Web Link. The districts are redundant.
Dennis, why don’t you add to the dialogue on the Almanac Town Square Forum. Your perspective might stimulate discussion.

Posted by yup
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Aug 1, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Maybe you should run for governor again.

Posted by CW
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Aug 3, 2014 at 1:18 am

Jack, you've been on the board for 11 years. What have you *succeeded* in doing to dissolve this district? What have you accomplished? Our taxes, which were meant for a hospital, are now going to charities. In 11 years, you haven't been able to stop this from taking place. I don't want to hear what arguments you have made. The Internet is full of your diatribes about that. But what have you accomplished in 11 years?

Posted by Poster
on Aug 3, 2014 at 9:49 am

Certainly this issue has been adjudicated in court. What was the decision by what court?

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 3, 2014 at 2:51 pm

CW: I have kept the discussion alive. And, I take credit for saving Sequoia Hospital at it's historic site.
There have been missed opportunities in past elections. This election should once again provide voters with an opportunity to replace those directors who have ignored the Grand Jury and LAFCo, with directors who advocate a straight forward vote on the issue of the district's future.
Your support would be helpful.

I thank the voters who, in 2010, gave me more votes than Art Faro.
John J. "Jack" Hickey .......... 25,133 votes 18.9%
Arthur J. Faro .......... 23,568 votes 17.7%
And those 32,627 who voted for John J. "Jack" Hickey in 2012.

Now I ask that you re-elect me and help elect two other directors to replace Faro and Shefren.

Posted by yup
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Aug 3, 2014 at 3:00 pm

As a board member?

Or as a citizen?

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 3, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I suspect that public opinion overwhelmingly supports Sequoia Hospital on it's historic site. It is a community gem.

As an elected Director, I attended the meeting at which the board, on a 4/1 vote which I opposed, committed the District to "Exclusively pursue development of a replacement hospital campus." I immediately drafted a referendum petition, submitted it to the proper channels, and began collecting signatures. See: Web Link and Web Link
My action stopped implementation of the boards decision until the petitioning process ran it's course. Signature gathering was greatly facilitated by my stature as an elected board member. And, it raised the level of awareness of the community. Coincidently, the newly re-elected Board President, Jerry Shefren, resigned. See: Web Link

Posted by CW
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Aug 3, 2014 at 9:41 pm

You didn't answer my question. I wasn't asking about the hospital site. What have you done toward eliminating this district and its tax? In 11 years have been able to persuade even one of your colleagues? Or get even one person on the board who agrees with goal? Or bring one lawsuit that challenges the existence of this district?

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 4, 2014 at 11:28 am

CW, I first responded to your comment "You personally "saved" Sequoia from being moved to a more efficient site with better transportation?". You suggest that it would have been better to move Sequoia Hospital to a location down by the Bayshore freeway, in close proximity to Kaiser. You are in a minority.
As for lawsuits, I did spend $2,000 in 2004 to file a writ of mandate against the Registrar of Voters who had denied Merillee Gibson a place on the ballot. The "good old boys club" quelched that action. And, when I sought an attorney to take on the district for bestowing a gift of $1800 to Directors Faro, Kane and Griffin, I couldn't find any in San Mateo County who didn't have a conflict of interest. See: Web Link

Posted by yup
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Aug 4, 2014 at 11:36 am

A lawsuit ten years ago.

So, essentially, this is a soapbox for a guy who has spent a life on a soapbox of his own making (runs for governor, US senate, US congress seat, dog-catcher, etc...)

It's time, Jack.

Posted by Mickie Winkler
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Aug 4, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Please, Jack, correct me if I am wrong.
The Sequoia HealthCare District is one of those tax creating districts which is frozen in place by Prop 13. If it were not for Prop 13,and in a rational world, the District would have been dissolved when the hospital it was created to support was sold.

It is very difficult to dissolve anything. The elected officials have status. The staff, and especially in this district, the salary for the District CEO is outrageous. And so it goes.

Change is hard but worth pursuing. Dissolve the District. I agree

Posted by PV resident
a resident of Portola Valley: Woodside Highlands
on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I completely agree that the hospital district should be dissolved.
Philanthropy is an individual decision and not for elected officials.
It's time.
Thank you to Mr. Hickey for trying to get the public's attention & support on this issue.

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 5, 2014 at 9:44 am

Mickie, you are correct. Property taxes assessed for Sequoia Hospital prior to Prop. 13 are still being collected by the District even though they no longer own the hospital. This is not itemized on your tax bill, but is included in the 1% ad-valorem tax. See: Where do your property taxes go? Web Link
I thank Dennis Zell for responding to my original question, and engaging in this dialogue. I have invited Directors from both healthcare districts as well as city councilmembers to join in this dialogue.

I sent the following to Linda Craig of the LWV.(she is also on the LAFCo commission) She also authored this LTE: Web Link

Linda, I hope the LWV will host a forum for Healthcare District candidates. You could combine SHD and PHD.

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 10, 2014 at 3:37 pm

In my original communication with Dennis Zell said the following:

"I am attaching a supporting document for your perusal. "

Here are the contents of that document:

SMC Civil Grand Jury(2004/05) Recommendation

1. The Sequoia Healthcare District Board should:
1.1 immediately explore with the Peninsula Healthcare District the merging of the two agencies via a joint powers agreement or reorganization structured to serve the health care needs of the combined districts, and explore the expansion of the districts to include all San Mateo County residents.

On May 16, 2007, LAFC0 adopted the following “sphere of influence” for SHD and PHD: “transitional sphere of influence with the potential for expansion to include excluded areas, dissolution and consolidation”

Both Districts have failed to explore the expansion of the districts to include all San Mateo County residents.

There is an obvious solution:
Proposition 13 does not prevent legislation which would enable the Board of Supervisors to conduct an election allowing the majority of county voters to effect the “giving up” of a portion of other agencies revenues to implement a countywide healthcare district without a tax increase..

SMC Civil Grand Jury(2012/13) report on LAFCo/Healthcare Districts
Sequoia Healthcare District(SHD) and Peninsula Healthcare District(PHD)

LAFCo staff conducted the 2007 service review of SHD and PHD. In contrast, an outside consultant conducted the 2012 Santa Clara County LAFCo Audit and Service Review of the El Camino Hospital District (ECHD). The consultant’s report was 94 pages long and was, by far, a more detailed analysis of the district’s operations. The report included an Executive Summary, an Introduction, a section on ECHD and its affiliates, a section on Hospital Districts in California, an audit of ECHD, a service review of ECHD, and a section on governance and organizational alternatives. In addition, the report addressed two key questions:
1) Is ECHD providing services outside of its boundaries.
2) Should ECHD continue to exist and/or continue to receive public funds or could another entity provide ECHD’s services more efficiently.

Interviewees stated that LAFCo does not have the resources to produce reports with this level of detail. In addition, given the nuances of health care districts, interviewees felt an outside consultant might provide LAFCo with additional information that would assist the Board in choosing to initiate boundary changes or take other actions to reorganize services.

Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 10, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I want to make my position clear on the "election" suggested in my previous post. I said:

"There is an obvious solution:
Proposition 13 does not prevent legislation which would enable the Board of Supervisors to conduct an election allowing the majority of county voters to effect the "giving up" of a portion of other agencies revenues to implement a countywide healthcare district without a tax increase.."

I will add: If voters reject implementation of a countywide healthcare district, both SHD and PHD would be dissolved.

LAFCo offered three transitional possibilities.
Consolidation was rejected by both SHD and PHD.
The other transitional possibilities, expansion and dissolution, would be addressed by the proposed election as described with my addition.

Posted by Doug Radtke
on Aug 12, 2014 at 12:34 pm

My name is Doug Radtke, and I support Jack Hickey in his efforts with the Sequoia Healthcare District.

I am similarly running for the Peninsula Healthcare District with ultimately the same objectives.

Please visit my website www.dougradtke.com and I encourage those who are aware of people that live in the PHCD's geographic territory to cast their vote for me. Thank you.

Posted by Jack Hickey