Sequoia Healthcare District candidate statements for November election

Original post made by Jack Hickey, Woodside: Emerald Hills, on Jul 30, 2014

This election cycle will provide voters with some real choices in the Sequoia Healthcare District election. In addition to incumbents Jerry Shefren, Art Faro and myself, John McDowell has put his name in the running. Since I have already filed my candidate statement which will appear in your Sample Ballot several weeks from now, I am including it here and hope that other candidates will do likewise.
Sequoia Healthcare District
Candidate Statement
John J. "Jack" Hickey
7/29/2014

In 1946, voters formed Sequoia Hospital District. Property taxes were assessed to build Sequoia Hospital.
In 1996, with Sequoia Hospital running a huge deficit, voters approved a bailout sale to Catholic Healthcare West.
Voters were unaware that the District, without a hospital, would continue collecting property taxes, but now giving the money away--to businesses and charities of the Board's choosing.
The 2001 Civil Grand Jury questioned this new role, recommending property tax reductions unless voters approve expenditures for purposes not intended in the 1946 or 1996 elections.
Shortly thereafter, I was elected to the board, and found the District pursuing a fast track to relocate Sequoia Hospital. My referendum petition derailed that plan.
Now owned by Dignity Health, Sequoia Hospital recently completed a major upgrade on its historic site at Whipple Avenue and Alameda de las Pulgas. This community treasure has been preserved.
Now, voters must be allowed to decide the fate of Sequoia Healthcare District.
If it didn't already exist, would we create such a district--whose elected directors dole out tax dollars to their favorite charities? I think not.
Vote for Jack Hickey, and two other candidates who share a commitment to "let the voters decide" .

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I sent the following invitation to the other candidates: "Please join me by posting your candidate statements on the Almanac Town Square Forum."
Web Link

Jack Hickey, Advocate for Taxpayers, age 80

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Jul 30, 2014 at 4:40 pm

While we wait for candidates to post their current statements, I offer these candidate statements from the 2002 election in which I was first elected and Faro and Shefren were re-elected. I did not have a candidate statement, but ran on a slate of 3 candidates. Warren Gibson, a member of that slate, did have a candidate statement which I am including.

GERALD SHEFREN Age: 59

Occupation: Physician

Education and Qualifications:

I have been a district resident and practicing Obstetrician/Gynecologist for over 25 years. I have served in senior administrative positions in medical groups, hospitals and health plans for the past 8 years. I have served on the District's grant cycle committees and am currently a member of the District Board.

The primary responsibility of the Sequoia Healthcare District has always been to improve the health of the district residents. That has been accomplished by striving to ensure adequate access to healthcare services and by applying resources toward prevention of disease.

The District Board continues to share oversight responsibilities of Sequoia Hospital through the arrangement approved by the voters in 1966. That oversight provides community involvement in maintaining access to health care.

(Hickey comment: That OVERSIGHT was lost when, as a newly elected director, I was DENIED a seat on the Sequoia Health Services Board. Web Link)

The District grants program has improved community health by expanding access through free clinics for indigent residents and providing grants to not for profit organizations that focus on disease prevention.

If I am re-elected, I will continue to use my health care experience to ensure that the District's funds and tax dollars collected are spent wisely to improve the health of district residents, now and into the future.

/s/ Gerald Shefren

ARTHUR J. FARO

Occupation: Retired Healthcare Executive/Incumbent

Education and Qualifications:

Re-election to the Sequoia Healthcare District Board will allow me to continue to give back to our community, and enable me to further the work of the District improving the health of our citizens.

After receiving my MBA in Healthcare from The George Washington University, I was privileged to begin my career at Sequoia Hospital. There, I held increasingly responsible positions, and was appointed Chief Executive Officer. My final accomplishment was to lead the process to save Sequoia Hospital by affiliating with a large healthcare network. This has proven to be very successful and Sequoia continues to enjoy a world class reputation.

The District has proven to be very successful as well. We have supported many healthcare and illness prevention organizations including Sequoia Hospital, Samaritan House which provides free care to those in need, Child Abuse Prevention Center, and many others.

I am also active in other volunteer community efforts such as the American Heart Association, Sequoia Awards, Chambers of Commerce, and was recently appointed to the Board of the Statewide District Healthcare Association.

If re-elected, I will continue to use my experience and skills for you to ensure the continuation of superb health and wellness programs for our Community.

/s/ Arthur J. Faro

WARREN C. GIBSON Age: 59

Occupation: Engineer / Planning Commissioner

Education and Qualifications:

I am a candidate for this District because I believe it should be given a decent burial. When the Sequoia Hospital District sold Sequoia Hospital, its only significant asset, it should have disbanded gracefully. Instead, re-christened as the Sequoia Healthcare District, it has accumulated a hoard of your tax money and has given some of it to favored groups, including Planned Parenthood and Lytton Gardens. I have no problem with Planned Parenthood, but you might, and you shouldn't be forced to support it. And Lytton Gardens actually lies outside the District's boundaries!

The tax money you are paying to this District should be yours to keep or spend as you see fit. As a Director, I'll do all I can to abolish the District and return your tax money.

Should the District continue, I am well qualified to serve as a Director. I hold a Ph.D. in engineering, co-founded a successful Silicon Valley company, serve on the Belmont Planning Commission, and have served on three non-profit boards: the Psoriasis Research Institute, the San Juan Canyon Preservation Trust, and the Masterworks Chorale.

Please visit my web site at Web Link, and please vote for Warren Gibson, Harland Harrison, and Jack Hickey.

/s/ Warren C. Gibson

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:28 am

Here is the League of Women Voters info on the 2010 election. Web Link

+   Like this comment
Posted by Farmville
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:13 pm

2002 election statements? "I offer these candidate statements from the 2002 election in which I was first elected"

Isn't that about the time you also ran for CA governor? Let's see, that's a run for governor, a run for US senate, a run for a US congressional house seat, and there's the bid for state senate, along with a run for the MidPeninsula Regional Open Space District, not to mention the San Mateo County Community College District Board of Trustees.

Did I miss anything?

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Sequoia Healthcare District Board
Candidate Statement

Name: John McDowell
Occupation: Small Business Owner

It's time to Renew, Refocus, and Reform the Sequoia Healthcare District.

The District built and ran Sequoia Hospital and sold it to Catholic Healthcare West in 1996. Yet, the District continues to collect $9.5 million annually in property taxes for programs "promoting wellness", a purpose not confirmed by voters.

Renew taxpayer support for the new philanthropic and wellness purposes through a district-sponsored referendum. If not confirmed, taxes not used by the District will revert to schools, cities, and county.

Refocus District funds on programs available to all taxpayers, not narrowly targeted grants. No longer fund clinics outside the District or train nurses for other counties and states. The Affordable Care Act now subsidizes children's health insurance, should the District as well?

Reform District governance. The board retroactively increased the Executive Director's pay (supervises one fulltime employee) to more than the governor's, and granted itself a Cadillac health insurance plan. It treats your taxes as its own personal philanthropic playground.

The Civil Grand Jury investigated the District five times, concluding it should reduce property taxes, correct public misinformation, and questioning its representing the healthcare interests of citizens.

I ask for your vote to Renew, Refocus, and Reform the SHD.
www.mcdowellforsequoiand.com

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 11, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Candidate Statement of Qualifications for Sequoia Healthcare District, Arthur J. Faro November 2014 election

After receiving my MBA in Healthcare, I was privileged to begin my career at Sequoia Hospital where I held increasingly responsible positions including CEO. My final accomplishment prior to retiring was to lead the process of affiliation with CHW, now Dignity Health, enabling Sequoia to remain in our community. Currently, I am Chairperson of the Hospital's Board.

During my tenure on the Sequoia Healthcare District Board we have supported many organizations dedicated to the welfare of our community
including Samaritan House, Catholic Charities, Sequoia Hospital, Second Harvest Food Bank, local schools for nurses and nutrition programs, Ravenswood Health Center, to name a few.

I have volunteered for local, state and national organizations including the American Heart
Association, Sequoia Awards, Chambers of Commerce and my professional organizations. I am a Life Fellow of the American Association of Healthcare Executives.

Reelection to th Sequoia Healthcare District Board will allow me to continue my efforts of giving back to our community, and help further the excellent contributions Sequoia Healthcare District/has made in improving the health of our citizens.

The contributions of Sequoia Healthcare District is essential to the welfare of our community and I
would greatly appreciate your support in reelecting me to its Board.

Thank you for your consideration.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 11, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Candidate statement for Sequoia Healthcare District November 2014 election
Gerald "Jerry" Shefren
Physician
Education and Qualifications:
As a long time resident of the Sequoia Healthcare District,
current board member, physician and healthcare executive
of many years, I have used my experience to help achieve
the mission of the Sequoia Healthcare District. To improve
the health of District residents by enhancing access to care
and promoting wellness.
1 believe it is important to promote and invest in good health
for residents of all ages, with special emphasis on disease
prevention and support of school programs to keep children
healthy now and throughout their lives. I led the process of
developing a new 5-year strategic plan for the District that
will ensure that the activities of the District are consistent
with the wishes of our residents and financially prudent.
During the past 4 years 4 have supported a rigorous grants
evaluation process with detailed follow up to ensure grant
expectations are met. If I am re-elected, I will work diligently
to invest the District's tax dollars wisely on your behalf and to
make sure the Sequoia Healthcare District continues to fulfill
Its mission of supporting a healthy community for all.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Jack Hickey
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Aug 11, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Candidate statement for Sequoia Healthcare District
November 2014 election

MARK DE PAULA Age: 59
Occupation: Retired Businessman / Veteran

Education and Qualifications:

As a candidate for the Sequoia Health Care District, I support dissolving the district. The district should reduce property taxes for district taxpayers, and should not distribute tax dollars to favored special interest groups.

The Sequoia Health Care District built, owned, and operated Sequoia Hospital until it was sold in 1996. Today, the Sequoia Health Care District has assumed the role of taxpayer funded philanthropic organization, giving to special interest groups.

As a director of the Sequoia Health Care District, I will advocate for accountability, transparency, and good governance in the district. When the district is dissolved, taxes and assets will be distributed to other agencies that share the districts boundaries. I fully support the recommendations and findings of the San Mateo Grand Jury in 2013. The Grand Jury report questioned the spending of the Sequoia Health Care District.

I have lived in San Mateo County for over fifty years and I am a Vietnam-Era Veteran of the United States Air Force. Please vote for Mark De Paula and Jack Hickey. www.mjd4shd.com

+   Like this comment
Posted by John McDowell
on Aug 19, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I am a candidate for the Sequoia Healthcare District Board. You can find out more about me and my campaign on my website at www.McDowellForSequoiaHD.com. Below is my candidate statement.

John McDowell
Sequoia Healthcare District Board
Candidate Statement

Name: John McDowell
Occupation: Small Business Owner

It's time to Renew, Refocus, and Reform the Sequoia Healthcare District.

I ask for your vote to Renew, Refocus, and Reform the SHD. www.mcdowellforsequoiahd.com

+   Like this comment
Posted by da guv
a resident of Atherton: other
on Aug 19, 2014 at 11:41 pm

C'mon jack, run for governor or senator again.

Think big, mon... you're done with these windmills. 10 years and nothing to show for it.