Menlo Park police try new strategy against gang violence

Original post made on Dec 17, 2013

Fall has been riddled with bullets in Menlo Park, with four shootings in the past month alone. The police are trying a new strategy to counter the violence -- notifying landlords when a violent crime occurs on their properties.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 8:11 PM

+   Like this comment
Posted by moral obligation to inform
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:27 pm

If prostitution and sales of illegal drugs are involved, we know that Menlo Park police detectives are already on the scene.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Robert Cronin
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Dec 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

The only way to end gun violence is to get rid of guns. Repeal the Second Amendment, the founding fathers' biggest mistake.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Ted
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm

This also allows neighbors to hold the landlord to civil liability for a nuisance should they fail to act. But, Mr. Cronin's comment while respected is simply absurd. Why not fix the causes of gang violence: ignorance, bigotry, poor opportunity, poverty. Better code enforcement increase property values and thus the economics will rid the problem. But put more high density pressure in area where it occurrs, the voilence will continue...guns or not.

+   Like this comment
Posted by East of 101
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Dec 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I wish that our community on the East of 101 realized what bad publicity they receive. Every city has its fair share of crime but often gangs,drugs, are associated with lower income neighborhoods. Its hard for partents who work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet, find time to spend with their children and more so afford enrolling them in extra-curricular activities that keep them out of trouble.Facebook is bringing so much money into the neighborhood but as yet to employ anyone who hasn't graduated from a Ivy-League. They should build an Arriaga Center type gym or improve the Onetta Harris Center,build a Library(tech center)for the youth in that community. The youth in that neighborhood would benefitimmensly from having activities such as gynastics,swim-teams, volley ball, basketball,ect.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Menlo neighbor
a resident of Menlo Park: University Heights
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:24 am

They need to get to the root of the problem. THE LACK OF PARENTING AND LACK OF SUPPORT FOR THE PARENTS. These parents need counseling and support, as well as protection. They need to be taught how to raise their kids to not be gangstas, drug dealers, pimps, and thugs. They need to be taught to stand up against gangs and be prepared for the fight. The kids need to be taught from day one that it's not cool to be a thug. Send in the gang task forces every day in every single part of town and rid the community of this cancer. Invoke curfews in areas where bullets fly daily. Teach the parents how to raise their kids, support these parents with constant protections, ramp up large gang eradication task forces, and then you may see some change we can believe in. The rest of society should not suffer because of the lack of action on the part of the city and state. This is a war. Treat it like one.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Scott McMahon
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:58 am

I'm a landlord, but not in EPA. I wonder about Ted's comment. What would he do if the police told him that someone living in a rental might be part of a gang? Just evict the family? What if the alledged gang member lives with his or her mother?
Believe me, a landlord doesn't want any gang members or other dangerous or trouble making tenants, but there are legal and ethical considerations.
I had a neighboring landlord contact me about a tenant that he didn't like. He accused her of dealing drugs. He gave me a police officer's number to call. The officer, who was part of a special drug task force, implied a lot of things about my tenant. He said there was a lot of "traffic" with people coming at my rental at all hours. He wouldn't come out and say I should evict, but he implied it. And this is an especially scary dilemma for a landlord, because there are special laws allowing police to confiscate your rental property if you don't quickly act to evict when drugs are being dealt. While generally, I'm inclined to trust police officers, the officer I talked to seemed to be acting a little strangely. I was very nervous about this and did some investigating. I talked to neighbors, but none of them had noticed anything unusual about my tenant. No strange, late night "traffic." I finally concluded that I didn't have a solid reason to evict her. She and her kids stayed for a couple more years. There were never any complaints. I'm glad I didn't evict in this case.
My rentals are not in a city where there is a rent control law, like EPA. I can evict without providing any reason with 30 days notice, (or 60 days if the tenants have been there more than a year.) I imagine it's more difficult to evict in EPA. Landlords have real dilemma there. According to Ted, they can be sued by the neighbors for not acting, or by the tenants for trying to evict without any actual proof of wrongdoing.

+   Like this comment
Posted by Ted
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Yes, when a landlord has an known nuisance and takes no action to abate it, to where the actions are detrimental to other neighbors property values, there are civil remedies. Why would a landlord not know or subject their neighbors to this?