Atherton: Group to grapple with aircraft noise

Original post made on Nov 30, 2013

Guaranteed: The snappy response to someone living close to San Francisco International or any other major airport who complains about increased jet noise will be, "What did you expect when you moved near an airport?" But should communities situated under the flight path of a relatively tiny, public-use facility that accommodates small aircraft be expected to accept a significant noise increase because of new commercial use of the airport?

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:00 AM

Posted by concerned neighbor, a resident of Atherton: other
on Nov 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Surf Air is increasing the number of flights into San Carlos from other Airports to 20 per day effective December 9th. That's 20 inbound and 20 outbound per day. Go to their web site and look under schedule. San Carlos Airport was designed as a general aviation airport not for Commercial Airlines. At 10,000 lbs with a 53 ft. wingspan on a single engine aircraft there should be concern about noise and Safety. According to Surf Air they can operate as many flights as they want into San Carlos, first 4, then 6, then 10, now 20, then unlimited.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner, a resident of another community
on Nov 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I just saw and Heard that plane this morning, That is one noisy airplane and I wasn't anywhere close to being underneath it. Perhaps a bay approach to Petes Harbor would help.

Posted by Menlo Voter, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Nov 30, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Surfair can operate as many flights into San Carlos as the air traffic control system will allow. The approach path is unlikely to change, at least for instrument approaches. They are designed for maximum safety and terrain avoidance.

Mr. Stogner: I'm not sure what plane you were hearing, but in my experience the Beechcraft King Air that operates in and out of San Carlos is much noisier than the Surfair Pilatus.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner, a resident of another community
on Nov 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I am 95% sure it was a Pilatus I saw this am, I was surprised by the noise I heard so I looked up to get a good look at it. It wasn't until I looked at their website to see what they were flying, same, I was at Backyard Coffee on Brewster by the tracks. I agree with you about B.King Air. I'm a pro pilot/plane and airport guy,

Posted by Resident, a resident of Atherton: other
on Nov 30, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I've heard the King Air and the Pilatus. The King Air is much quieter.

Surf Air has 350 active members and 6000 on the waiting list. They could fly around the clock and not accommodate the demand. Picture 40 or 50 flights a day into San Carlos.

The runway at San Carlos is 2500 feet long and 75 feet wide. The wing span on the Pilatus is over 53 feet. Not much room for error.

Posted by Menlo Voter, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Nov 30, 2013 at 9:03 pm

resident:

the runway has plenty of room to land a Pilatus.

Landing distance over 15 m (50 ft) obstacle: 558 m (1,830 ft)
Landing distance ground roll: 228 m (945 ft)This means the landing distance if they aren't landing over a 50 ft. obstacle, which they are not at San Carlos. Plenty of room at San Carlos.

A Pilatus is a turbine driven propeller aircraft. As such it can reverse the thrust of its propeller and land in very short distances.

Posted by Menlo Voter, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Nov 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Resident: I beg to differ on the noise signature of the two aircraft. I have both aircraft overfly my home on a regular basis. I can identify each one without looking. The Pilatus is noticeably quieter.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 1, 2013 at 2:21 am

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

"public-use facility that accommodates small aircraft be expected to accept a significant noise increase because of new commercial use of the airport?"

This premise is wrong. A public use airport by definition includes commercial use. For example, all pilot training is commercial use. News helicopters are commercial use.
AS noted many, many times before this airport has accepted FAA Airport Improvement Grants for years and with each grant the airport agreed to further extend its long term commitment to remain open to all aircraft that can safely operate from this airport.

The solution is not with the FAA or the airport but with SunAir and there is only so much that they can do - all the noise will not go away.

IF you are really interested in what can be done go to this excellent web site and read about the Palo Alto Airport Joint Community Relation Committee, on which I served for 20 years with ten years as chair, and read the 2004 JCRC Report to the Palo Alto City Council contained on that page. And then email me if you are still interested in hard work to make small changes.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 1, 2013 at 2:36 am

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

Here is the PAO JCRC web site:

Web Link

Here is the 2004 JCRC report to the City Council

2004 JCRC Report to the Palo Alto City Council

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.