Atherton: Group to grapple with aircraft noise

Original post made on Nov 26, 2013

Guaranteed: The snappy response to someone living close to San Francisco International or any other major airport who complains about increased jet noise will be, "What did you expect when you moved near an airport?" But should communities situated under the flight path of a relatively tiny, public-use facility that accommodates small aircraft be expected to accept a significant noise increase because of new commercial use of the airport?

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 7:51 AM

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Nov 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

Prediction - a flight path change will not happen. To shift it to the East would impinge on established flight paths for other airports. The FAA's SOLE concern is safety; they refuse to become noise police.

Posted by R Scholl, a resident of Menlo Park: Stanford Weekend Acres
on Nov 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm

My recollection (from more than 10 years ago) is that west bound traffic into San Carlos airport (i.e., inbound from say over Livermore) is over the bay, not getting west of the runway center-line. If the flights flew such that they arrived from the east, then they wouldn't fly over Atherton.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Nov 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

For decade Palo Alto residents have tried to get the FAA to restrict PAO traffic to the bay side of the airport and the FAA just said NO.

Posted by Menlo Voter, a resident of Menlo Park: other
on Nov 26, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Scholl:

your recollection is correct for VFR flights. Surfair is commercial and flying IFR. The instrument approach to San Carlos brings aircraft over Atherton en route to San Carlos.

Posted by Paul, a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Nov 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I was enjoying my day yesterday our in the yard looking for the air traffice from last week's story and there was hardly any and very little noise. This is a non-issue. There is more noise from SFO at 4:30am with that big cargo jet, or Recology at 4:46 am on Mondays. Send out a survey, the results could be surprising.

Posted by r. e. sident, a resident of Atherton: other
on Feb 9, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I think the Surf Air noise is terrible. I noticed right away their flights at 7:30am would wake me up if I was sleeping. These clearly violate the community noise standards in decibels. And then about 1 time every hour during the day - like a big semi-trailer driving through my house or yard. I thought I was the only one who noticed - until I by chance saw an Almanac article the other day. It took me a while to figure out that Surf-Air was the culprit. These planes are just about the maximum gross weight allowed at San Carlos - with a very noisy propeller whining while being turned by a powerful 1000hp engine. No other traffic is as noticeable from San Carlos. One of the attributes of the PC-12 design is the noisy propeller is way out font - away from the passengers - otherwise the passengers couldn't stand to fly in plane because of cabin noise. I say Sue for Nuisance. (I was planning on it - It took 10 years for the FAA to raise the flight pattern into SFO.) Basically some fat cat (maybe from Burbank) wants to save himself 20 minutes by not flying into SFO - at my expense. I think we have enough air traffic over the "menlo intersection". I look forward to my day in court.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

"These clearly violate the community noise standards"

Please cite the law or ordinance which sets said standard and please cite the court cases that confirm that aircraft are subject to those standards given the FAA's preemption in such natters.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

"These clearly violate the community noise standards"

Please cite the law or ordinance which sets said standard and please cite the court cases that confirm that aircraft are subject to those standards given the FAA's preemption in such matters.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.