Times changed, Mervyns didn't, founder says

Original post made on Oct 21, 2008

Mervyns founder Merv Morris of Atherton expressed 'great sadness for the several thousand employees' impacted by the final closure of Mervyn's chain of department stores -- along with gratitude 'for all the good' that came of the stores.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, October 20, 2008, 10:09 PM

Posted by Ex Mervyns Manager, a resident of another community
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:26 pm

As a previous manager at a Mervyn's store, I cannot begin to tell you how horribly run the company was. All I did was manual labor. They run through managers there like candy. They treat their employees like scum and work us to death. Mervyn's lied about what the manager job duties were when they hired me. Soon I found myself working 6-8 hours without a break stocking shelves and ringing customers all day. It was rediculous. I'm glad they're going down. I feel sorry for all the employees there who will lose their jobs. If only the company had not run itself into the ground, maybe they could have endured these economic times.

The bottom line is this: You cannot deceive your employees time and time again and expect to get away with it. Mervyn's got sued in 2001 for treating their managers like slave labor. They never changed. Without a happy management work force, a company can't function.

Posted by Ex Mervyns Manager, a resident of Portola Valley: Westridge
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Posted by Evelyn, a resident of Woodside: Woodside Hills
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:31 pm

I could see that Mervyn's was really falling apart every time I'd go shopping there. There never was enough employees to help me. They didn't treat the customers very well and I had nothing but problems with my credit card from there.

Posted by jamie, a resident of Atherton: Lloyden Park
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:34 pm

I was getting of getting hassled for a credit card everytime I bought something!

Posted by Former employee, a resident of another community
on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I was an employee of Mervyns for 17 years and am beyond mortified what happened. What happened should never have happened. I was in management and have no complaints about the way that I was treated. I was in Human Resources and have seen many managers come and go. Yes I agree with the above ex manager that there was a lot to do but what he didn't tell you was that if you properly trained your supervisors and staff you yourself would not have to being doing all of the work. It sounds like he was not cut out for hard work. Yes at times the work load was tremendous but it just made you more marketable for other work. I have found that the training that we received made you a much more well rounded employee. My heart goes out to all those people who tried to get us to a point that we were not sinking. It is easy for a person from the outside to speculate but it was a true fight. Customers would come in and say how sad they were but my question is where were those people when we needed to have them come in and support us in the form of sales.

Posted by Angela k., a resident of another community
on Oct 6, 2013 at 11:29 am

I loved Mervyns! That was the only dept. Store I shopped...I was very sad to hear it was closing. I'm very disappointed in having to shop at the remaining stores. The only one that even comes close is kholes and that one falls short of Mervyns. I truly wish they would re open!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.