WEST MENLO PARK
Forgery report: A resident with a business account at Bank of America reported losses of approximately $40,000 from numerous unauthorized electronic withdrawals between October 2011 and December 2012, April 25.
Theft report: In two reports from addresses along Portola Road, residents said that mailboxes grouped in rows had been forced open, leaving at least one mailbox that no longer closes, and with mail left "all over the ground." At least one mailbox was missing altogether from the corner of Home and Portola roads, April 23.
Commercial burglary report: Someone pried open the exterior and interior doors to the Sand Hill Road offices of private equity firm GI Partners and stole three laptop computers for a loss estimated at $5,100, April 29.
Residential burglary reports:
• Police report arresting a San Jose man who had been seen stealing a bicycle from an apartment carport on Middle Avenue. The bicycle's owner had witnessed the theft, followed the suspect while phoning police, and then identified the suspect after the arrest, April 26.
• Police, responding to a burglar alarm at a residence on Del Norte Avenue, said they chased and arrested two teens, 15 and 13, and found property from the residence in their possession. The youths were booked into the Hillcrest juvenile facility in San Mateo on conspiracy and burglary charges, April 29.
• After forcing open the front door of a residence on Hedge Road, someone stole a laptop computer and Apple iPad tablet for a total loss estimated at $2,500, April 29.
• Someone entered a residence on Ringwood Avenue by forcing open a rear door, then stole a laptop computer, a Nintendo video game console and jewelry for a total loss estimated to be $1,150, April 26.
Auto burglary report: A backpack containing clothing, books and a Kindle digital book reader were stolen after someone smashed a window on a vehicle parked in the 1900 block of El Camino Real for a total loss estimated at $490, May 2.
• Someone stole the catalytic converter from underneath a vehicle parked at Facebook Corp. at 1 Hacker Way for a loss estimated $950, May 1.
• A woman is missing her wallet and an Apple iPhone, an $820 total loss, after forgetting that she left her purse in a shopping cart in the parking lot at Safeway supermarket at 525 El Camino Real, May 2.
• Two women in a four-door silver Mercedes Benz absconded with two cell phones after pulling up next to two girls on Pope Street, asking to borrow first one phone from the girls, then another after saying that the first one didn't work, for a total loss of $700, April 29.
• Someone stole a bicycle valued at $300 from an unlocked garage on Middle Avenue, May 1.
• About $40 in coins and a digital device were stolen from an unlocked vehicle parked on Hamilton Avenue for a total loss of $130, April 28.
• A woman in the Santa Cruz Avenue business district reported missing a wallet valued at $83 and containing canceled credit cards, April 26.
Fraud report: A 19-year-old woman on Del Norte Avenue told police that she wired $1,900 via Western Union to pay for a car she bought, but never received, through Craigslist, May 1.
Disturbance report: Responding to an anonymous phone call complaining about 20 or so people who were yelling and making noise in front of a residence on Possum Lane, deputies found 10 individuals heavily intoxicated and two showing evidence of having been fist fighting. No one wanted to press charges and most of the visitors left by taxi, April 27.
Residential burglary reports:
• Someone ransacked an Almendral Avenue house and stole two Apple iPads for a total loss estimated at $1,200, April 22.
• Police do not yet have a list, but several items were stolen from a house on Greenoaks Drive after a screen was cut, May 1.
• Two unlocked vehicles on Fairview Avenue were pilfered for one black Louis Vuitton purse valued at $3,000, a pair of gold Oakley sunglasses with a value of $500, and a $50 black jacket, April 22.
• A black and silver Marin men's bicycle with an estimated value of $399 was stolen from Menlo-Atherton High School at 555 Middlefield Road, April 23.
• Several dwarf plants of unreported value were stolen from a home on Prado Secoya, April 19.