Identity theft report: Someone opened an unauthorized credit card account in the name of a resident of the 700 block of Alpine Road and made more than $17,000 in charges in the Sacramento area. The victim will not incur the losses. Jan. 21.
Auto burglary report: A vehicle parked at Alpine Road and Willowbrook Drive was found with a smashed window and missing a ThinkPad laptop computer and carrying bag, gift cards and business paperwork for a total estimated loss of $2,150. Jan. 26.
Auto burglary report A purse, a wallet and an Apple iPad are missing from a vehicle parked on the shoulder of Canada Road about a half-mile north of the Jefferson Avenue intersection. The window was smashed. Before reporting the $1,300 loss, the victim canceled the stolen checks and credit cards. Jan. 26.
Residential burglary reports:
• Four televisions, three DVD players, a watch and silverware were taken from a home on Sevier Avenue, a $5,600 loss. Jan. 28.
• Someone kicked a hole in the front door of a home on McKendry Drive while the residents were away and stole jewelry and a purse. Estimated loss: $2,906. Jan. 29.
• A locked bike was taken from a carport on Coleman Place. Estimated value: $120. Jan. 29.
• A control box for an automatic gate was damaged and the padlock on the box forcibly removed at a home on Del Norte Avenue. Jan. 27.
• A home on Ringwood Avenue was found with a smashed rear window but no evidence of anything taken. Feb. 1.
Commercial burglary reports:
• A security guard interrupted two would-be burglars who had smashed a window to force their way into the offices of August Capital at 2480 Sand Hill Road. The suspects had allegedly taken two desktop computers out of the office, but in fleeing the scene had discarded them nearby, where they were recovered. Feb. 1.
• Police arrested and booked into jail a Menlo Park man on suspicion of stealing a $39 bottle of an alcoholic beverage from Draeger's Supermarket at 1010 University Drive. Jan. 30.
• Someone entered the law offices of Latham & Watkins LLP at 140 Scott Drive and stole packages containing two clutch purses, a loss estimated at $1,359. It's not known how the thief entered the building. Jan. 24.
• A clerk interrupted two shoppers on their way out of the Safeway supermarket with a cart full of "several thousand dollars worth" of alcoholic beverages and meat and redirected them toward a checkout stand. At that point, one of the shoppers left the store, while the other allowed the clerk to unload the cart then said he had changed his mind and didn't want the items and left the store. Feb. 9.
• Someone stole an unattended purse from a house on Cotton Street. The $1,252 loss included a wallet, a cell phone and credit cards. Feb. 2.
• A parking permit sticker for the Menlo Park parking plaza was removed from a vehicle parked at Doyle Street and Menlo Avenue. Estimated value: $592. Jan. 28.
• Two packages containing clothing and household goods with a reported value of $486 were taken from the porch of a home on White Oak Drive. Feb. 2.
• A unlocked $375 bicycle was taken in the 500 block of Glenwood Avenue. Jan. 27.
• Police arrested, cited and subsequently released a Menlo Park man allegedly caught in the act of stealing $122 worth of food and alcoholic beverages from Draeger's Supermarket at 1010 University Drive. Jan. 24.
• Police arrested and booked into jail a Menlo Park woman on suspicion of shoplifting $50 in food from Draeger's Supermarket at 1010 University Drive. The food was recovered. Jan. 24.
• She fled before the police arrived, but a woman allegedly did try to obtain a $52 refund by using a fraudulent receipt to return stolen merchandise to the Safeway supermarket on Sharon Park Drive. She left behind the merchandise and the receipt. Jan. 27.
• Police arrested a Menlo Park woman after she stole a wallet left unattended at a cash register at Willow Road and Hamilton Avenue, then attempted to use a credit card from the stolen wallet. Feb. 1.