April 1, 1861: The San Mateo County Board of Supervisors authorizes the creation of a Searsville School District in the little town of Searsville.
1891: The creation of Searsville Reservoir causes the residents to move away.
1894: Martha Hallidie offers a portion of her estate for the creation of a new school. The Searsville School is dismantled and moved. A new school is built at what is now 765 Portola Road.
1909: Enrollment increases enough to warrant a second schoolhouse. Cost: $3,602. The name of the district becomes The Portola School District.
1950: The 1894 school is dismantled and sold for $10 to make room for a new modern, four-room school called Portola Valley School. The population is growing very rapidly. Enrollment: 59.
1952: A two-room addition is added to Portola Valley School. Enrollment: 230.
1954: A four-room addition is added to Portola Valley School. Enrollment: 464.
1955: 23 students graduate from Portola Valley School.
Dec. 12, 1955: The school board changes the district's name to Portola Valley School District.
1956: The four-square-mile area around Skylonda is added to the district.
1958: Corte Madera School opens on the former Bovet Ranch for first and second grades.
1961: Ormondale School opens on a portion of Ormondale Ranch for one third-grade and three fourth-grade classes.
1963: A four-room addition to Ormondale opens.
1975: Portola Valley School is sold to the town of Portola Valley for $120,000. Six new classrooms are built at both Ormondale and Corte Madera schools.
1977: The last students graduate from Portola Valley School. Ormondale becomes a K-5 school; Corte Madera, 6-8.
1998: Ormondale becomes K-3; Corte Madera, 4-8.
2004: All new construction is completed at both schools.
2011: Portola Valley School District celebrates its 150th birthday with a party on Oct. 2 at Town Center.